Statements & Releases
Joint Press Release by the United States of America and Australia
Leaders of Australia and the United States to launch an Australia-U.S. Strategic Partnership on Energy in the Indo-Pacific. The partnership aligns the goals of Australia’s Foreign Policy White Paper and the U.S. National Security Strategy, including to promote regional infrastructure and energy cooperation, open and competitive energy markets and improved rules and standards in the Indo-Pacific.
- Open and competitive energy markets are indispensable to ensuring secure energy supply.
- Universal access to affordable and reliable energy from a variety of sources is needed to help eradicate poverty, fuel sustainable economic growth, and increase global security.
Priorities for the 2018-2019 Work Plan for the Partnership
- Energy infrastructure development in the Indo-Pacific, including a focus on the developing world, that promotes regional integration; adheres to principles of good governance, respect for the interests of all stakeholders, and transparency in bidding and financing; and expands access to the global energy market.
- Deployment of low emissions technologies which support the secure, reliable, affordable and sustainable supply of energy in the Indo-Pacific.
- Strengthening the development of open and rules-based global markets for natural gas.
Important Geographic Regions
- Southeast Asia
- South Asia
- Southwest Pacific